Child Support FAQs

Texas Child Support FAQ – Questions and Answers About Child Custody Law

Jared Julian, Child Custody Attorney of Flower Mound Has the Answers…

Jared Julian, our child custody attorney of Flower Mound, TX, is experienced with divorce settlements, child custody issues, and mediations. The Julian Firm is a small firm, which means we are able to dedicate all of our attention to your case. Attorney Jared Julian and all of our experienced Texas child support attorneys can guide you through the process of finding the right solution for you and your children. Attorney Jared Julian is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, so you can be confident that you will receive reliable answers to your questions.

Jared Julian, our experienced child custody attorney of Flower Mound, TX, says his clients commonly ask the following questions about child custody law, child support payments, child support orders, modifying child support, and more. If you have a question about Texas child support not answered on this page, please call the family law attorneys at the Julian Firm today at (972) 459-4400. Or, submit an online review form today for legal advice on specific situation.

Common Texas Child Support Questions

What Do You Use Child Support For?

The non-custodial parent, or the parent who has less actual physical possession of the child, generally must pay money to the “primary” custodial parent. The money or “child support” is intended to be used for the benefit of the child. Child support may also be in the form of maintaining health insurance on the children.

How Do You Calculate Texas Child Support Payments?

The Texas Family code determines the guidelines and formulas for determining Texas child support, which you can see in our Texas child support calculator. These guidelines apply to situations in which the obligor’s (or parent required to pay the child support) monthly net resources total $6,000.00 or less.

According to the Texas child support calculator, and assuming the obligor has no children from other relationships, the percentages are as follows:

  • 1 child – 20 percent of obligor’s net resources
  • 2 children – 25 percent of obligor’s net resources
  • 3 children – 30 percent of obligor’s net resources
  • 4 children – 35 percent of obligor’s net resources
  • 5 children – 40 percent of obligor’s net resources
  • 6 or more children – Not less than 40 percent of obligor’s net resources

If the obligor has a child or children from another parent, then the above percentages will likely reduce based upon the number of children outside the considered relationship. If you have any questions, then call our Lewisville family lawyer today for a case evaluation.

When does child support officially end in Texas?

Under the Texas Family Code, you must pay child support until the child turns eighteen, or until the end of the school year in which the child graduates from high school, whichever is later. Texas child support will also end upon the child’s emancipation or marriage.

However, if a child is mentally and/or physically impaired to where the child requires continuous care, a court may order child support paid long after the child turns 18. If your child required continuous care, then contact our Lewisville family lawyer today for more information about lengthening the amount of time you receive child support.

Does how much the custodial parent makes affect the amount of child support payments?

No. Courts will almost never take into account the custodial parent’s income in determining what the other parent’s child support obligation should be.

Does how much the spouse of the non-custodial parent makes affect the amount of child support?

Generally, no. Courts will not consider what a non-custodial parent’s spouse makes, unless it allows the non-custodial spouse to make less than what he or she should.

How is child support paid to the custodial parent in Texas?

The Texas Family Code typically requires that if the party ordered to pay child support has a job, the employer will withhold the child support from his or her wages. Child support is usually paid through the county agency charged with recording child support payments. The agency keeps a record of all payments received and forwards the payment to the child support recipient.

When can I modify a Texas child support order?

Either party may file a petition for modification of child support. Under the Family Code in Texas, you can modify child support when there has been a significant change in circumstances. The support obligation may also change when the non-custodial parent’s income changes significantly (increased or decreased) such that the child support would increase or decrease by 20 percent or $100.00, whichever is greater.

What do I do if the non-custodial parent does not pay child support as ordered by the court?

If you are the party receiving the child support (called the “obligee”), then you can bring an enforcement action against the party ordered to pay the child support (the “obligor”). In an enforcement action, you may request that the Court find the obligor in contempt and order the obligor to go to jail or place the obligor on probation.

When dealing with nonpayment of child support, you may benefit from having a lawyer for child support. Ideally, you want one with experience handling contempt orders. Alternatively, you may call the Office of the Attorney General on your own to file the enforcement. Either option has its pros and cons:

  • Unfortunately, if you hire a qualified private family law attorney, you generally have to advance the attorney’s fees. However, this ensures your case will be handled quickly and with individual care.
  • On the other hand, applying to the Attorney General’s office for help likely relieves you of advancing attorney’s fees. However, you do not have the individual attention of a qualified attorney sworn to representing you. This could mean it will take a very, very long time to reach your case.

Contact Our Texas Child Support Attorney for Advice Today

Call the family law attorneys of The Julian Firm at (972) 459-4400. Jared Julian, our child custody attorney of Flower Mound, TX, is ready to answer your questions. At The Julian Firm, we assist families in North Dallas and the surrounding areas, such as Plano, Denton, Grapevine and Fort Worth. We want to assist you in finding the best solution for your family.